- "premature optimization is the root of all evil"
- "expect unexpected"...
- avoid temporary changes
- careful with Collections: inadequate collection mappings can impact resulting # of queries
- OneToMany on owning side: lots of unnecessary locking / querying
- bulk processing through Hibernate --> use database operations instead
- big data = big problems -- my addition: with hibernate :-)
- standard mappings don't handle large datasets well
- smart model, bulk processing, projections
- read the manual
- hibernate docs
- think of consequences
- smart policies / data structures